Matthew Jennings Golf

Matthew Jennings Golf

Friday, April 5, 2019

Why do we love an underdog?



17 months ago I was preparing to compete in the first stage of the tour's qualifying school for my second attempt to earn a tour card through the qualifying stages.  Unlike my first attempt,  I had some experience as to what my mind was going to go through during what many golf professionals consider "the highest pressure in tournament golf".  Going into the event my physical game felt good enough, and I was going to have a trusted guide caddying for me.  Having someone trusted with you can make a big difference in events that really get your nerves going.  My confidence gauge wasn't full, but I felt the odds were in my favor to advance through the first stage.

Through two rounds of play, I was playing great.  The wind and conditions were difficult (I always enjoy that) and I was reading the greens well which translated to making more than my quota of putts. I was feeling great and full of confidence at the halfway mark.  Shortly after the round I ran into a friend who was also competing and he gave me a quick congrats on my play that had me in 2nd place.  We encouraged each other to keep fighting hard, and he also gave me a heads up to the current leader I would be playing with in the third round.  I had no idea who he was talking about, but he informed me that he was a fresh All-American out of college, with big endorsement deals from Nike and PXG.  The way he said it to me I'll never forget, I could feel he had a overwhelming sense of "there is no way I'll ever be as good as him". 

As my guide and I walked to the first tee for the third round, I saw my playing partner who was the world beater that everyone in golf was talking about.  Many characteristics you would imagine described him;  physically in great shape, technically sound, absolute best equipment and clothing,  also friendly! My first impressions were that he was likable and nice, it's not like I walked to the tee thinking I had to slay a giant.  My mental approach was to play my game and post a score that was good enough to advance through to the next stage, it didn't matter who I was playing with.

What I found over the next nine holes though was very strange.  All the feelings and momentum I had built from the previous two days seemed to completely leave me.  My ball flight and contact started to change, my routines and timing left me, and I couldn't keep my eyes off of what was an absolute ball-striking clinic by my playing partner.  I'm serious, this guy was absolutely flushing it.  Ive seen great strikers, I've competed against many of them before and even caddied for some major champions but this was a clinic in how to hit the golf ball.  I couldn't shake the feelings of indaequacy and doubt about what I was doing.  On the 6th green my guide looked at me and said "whats going on?". He could tell that something inside of me was off.  I took about fifteen minutes to think about it then I told him on the 7th green "I am constantly comparing myself".

Despite a shaky nine holes I was able to straighten the ship, shake off my internal comparison at the time and advance into the 2nd stage with a good final round.

One month later, I failed at 2nd stage, my playing partner made it all the way through to finals and earned his tour card.

Fast forward 17 months to now....

Some days at work I feel like this

For those unaware, the past five years I've spent my winter months in South Florida working as a club caddie while practicing and competing.  It has been a great way to help continue playing tournaments.

Every job has it's monotony, but one great thing I've found in this work so far is it's unpredictability.  The vast majority of days I show up to work I have no idea who I'll be spending four to five hours with. One day I could be paired with someone I've worked for many times, and the next day I could be paired with the Commander in Chief. (not a joke)


The last Wednesday of this past February I'm going about my day like normal.  Over the radio my name gets called out, and I make my way out of the caddie shack toward my boss to get my assignment for the day.  While I'm approaching my boss I see a very familiar face standing next to him.

As I came closer I quickly realized it was my playing partner from qualifying school 17 months ago.

We took a minute to catch up and exchange small talk, then it was all business. His preparation for the day was important.  There was a PGA Tour event in town that week and he had a tee time the following morning.  Playing along with him were two members of the club and his full time tour caddie.

As I watched him prepare and play that day I couldn't help but think about the golf we played 17 months prior.  In a short amount of time he had accomplished the dream I and so many players have longed for.  Like I had 17 months prior, I watched in awe of how good the ball was flying. I started to feel as the day went on what a underdog I am in comparison to this player.  Not only did this player have a high set of skills he also had:

- Consultation from PGA Tour level instructors for different areas of his game
- The best and newest equipment
-Sponsorships, exemptions, and the highest level of "access" into professional golf
-Multiple years of experience of traveling the country to compete against the very best of his age

He played fairly solid that day, and would play great that week on the PGA Tour finishing inside the top ten and cashing a big check.  My mind couldn't help but see what I had in comparison to this player and how people and the world around me would view what I have in comparison to him:

-Less talent
-Can't swing the club as fast
-No money, no exemptions, no promise
-Spends time working to support playing career
-Started golf at a later age and has never competed on the highest level

I sat there and wondered how could I really begin to even think I'm capable of being as good as this player.  Not only him, but the many others like him, along with the every other tour player that has already established themselves on the highest level.  Am I crazy? Delusional? Should I give up?

There are many other underdogs like me out there in many facets of life.  In sports or in business, the stories of when an individual or team overcomes great odds inspires us.  You can hardly turn on your t.v. without finding a movie about someone who overcame something.  For as long as I can remember I've always cheered for the "little guy".  I never knew why I loved an underdog, for a while I thought maybe it had something to do with growing up in a very small community. In my opinion the greatest and most exciting moments in sports are when something happens that's not supposed to happen. During a season where we focus on the madness of great over-achievers, who would you think in a fight or competition is the greatest underdog of all time?  It's not the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey team.  It's not Valvano and the '83 Wolfpack. It's not Rocky Balboa.  It's not even sister Jean and Loyola-Chicago in the final four.

Image result for loyola chicago final four


The biggest underdog in history was a shepard boy named David. You may have heard of him, he killed a giant named Goliath.  



I won't write out the story because it's highly likely you've already heard it.  It's also likely that some of you who read this will think I'm talking about a fairly tale.  I suggest you do some research.  Anyways, after my experience at work and really looking at my odds I decided to go back and refresh myself on the account of David slaying the giant and closely look at what the greatest underdog of all time went through.  When reading through the story a couple times it was hard not to notice some things.

-David was extremely out matched in size, ability, and experience
-David's equipment was out matched
-Goliath scoffed at him and called him a dog
-Davids family didn't believe in him or his motives
-The entire nations fate was on his shoulders

In the midst of these circumstances what made David actually believe he could win?  It's not just as if David was thrown into this fight by somebody else, he volunteered for it against his brother's wishes.  How was he able to have a such faith?  After all the bible tells us God described David as a man after his own heart.  David was able to win because his faith was not in himself.  He believed that God had already delivered him through many other battles and this would be nothing more than another victory for the Lord.

As I get prepared to embark on another summer of golf and Lord willing another opportunity at qualifying school, how can I learn from the greatest of underdogs? Let's be real here, there is a little difference between battling for your nation versus playing golf, but that doesn't mean I can't learn from David.  I'm in a season of struggle where my golf is at a real low point relative to the last three years. I have family members suggesting to me to try something else, and I'm not able to devote a full amount of time to practice right now.  The odds are firmly stacked against me.

I ultimately take away from the account that David had true unwavering faith in the Lord.  He believed the Lord supplied him with what he needed in his training and his equipment.  He believed the Lord was with him and would not fail.  The Lord cannot fail, confidence in Him is true confidence. Confidence in literally anything else can and has faded away.  My faith in the Lord's providence does not necessarily mean He will deliver me to the PGA Tour, it does mean that He is preparing me and has given me what I need to have success for whatever battle He wills me to fight.

My original question was, "why do we love an underdog?". In my opinion, the real reason we love an underdog is because deep inside us we long for someone to overcome the ugliness and troubles that life in this fallen world guarantees us. 

The good news is that Jesus Christ has already done it.

John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart! I have overcome the world"



Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.


No comments:

Post a Comment